Wednesday, June 24, 2009

24.6.2009 Eppu training track again

On Tuesday we have track and also often lc-training/practice here in Hyvinkää organized by Luhtilaukkaajat and EGU and I decided to take Eppu there. As he has never officially raced with him I don't have official times for his runs. Occasionally times have been taken, but of course unofficially. Last summer Eppu was perhaps bit heavier (someone at home did mention word fat :D) and in general he is quite strong in built so never really expected him to be the fastest but he is a very eager chap after the lure. 

So now I am hoping that we can try out in lc-competitions later this year, but we will see. So last summer, when he ran first time 280m and 350m, I recall the time for the first length was a bit over 20 sec. I thought we can do better when we lose a bit weight and exercise more and his times did get better. Now after winter and spring he has lost a bit of weight and has been running around in our garden with Duffys so I've been hoping that maybe he would be in better shape (=faster).

So off we went to the track. Yesterday was a hot day, though a bit cooler in the evening. We live quite close to the track (approx. 2 km) and by crossing through Sveitsi sports area you can get to the track easily. But nobody warned me about the mosquitos!!!!! They seem to prey in groups... blood hell.. they were all over me and Eppu like a rash!!!  

We got to the track in one piece and though we got there quite late, we still had an opportunity to run. I decided that Eppu should run 280m again. I want to see how his fitness level has improved and wanted to take it easy in the beginning. We have done this a few times this summer, Eppu running 1 x 280m and 1 x lc-track so this is his second 280m this summer. 

Eppu is one of those dogs that get just over excited at the track. He doesn't care how warm it is, about the bugs or other dogs.. when he hears the lure going u better hold on to him and with a tight grip :D. And the amount of noise that he makes.. I could've used ear plugs easily ;P

Waiting is the hardest thing with him. He goes overboard with his enthusiasm and was panting like crazy. He just gets soooo excited, but I wasn't totally convinced that he would have energy to run after jumping in the leash and whining/barking like crazy. Boy was I wrong. Off he went after the lure with great enthusiasm. Didn't seem to mind the heat or feel tired. He did his record time so far 19.78 sec. I am so proud of him!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment